Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Jacob

Who was Jacob?
A twin. Heir of God's promise to Abraham. A deceptive cheat, both to his brother and his father, Isaac. Fearful for his life. Timidly obedient. (Gen. 25:19-28:5)

When he was traveling from his home to his uncle Laban, and he lay down under the stars with his head resting on a stone, he had a dream of a ladder extending from earth to heaven. Some people call it Jacob's ladder. The LORD (translated as his personal name) stood above it and said in the dream (paraphrased) "I am the LORD, the God of your fathers. I will give you and your children the land you lie on, and you will spread everywhere and be a  blessing to the families of the earth. Behold, I'm with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I've done what I've promised."

Jacob responded with a startled awakening. He thought somehow he had missed the presence of the Lord in that place, but he felt it - the dream was so intense. And he was afraid. He memorialized that place in the middle of nowhere thinking "This is where God lives, and this is the gate to heaven", and he made a vow. He simply said, "If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear...so that I come back again in peace, then the Lord will be my God. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you."

I have to wonder if Jacob knew who he was speaking to; if he had ever contemplated very long the promise God made to Abraham, passed down to Isaac, and conferred to him. After all, he stole what wasn't his birthright. Had he ever thought about God's blessing people through his family? Was it even talked of or said in remembrance? I have to wonder again when God says, "I will not leave you until I have done what I promised you." Jacob may not have realized Who met him in his dream. He may have correctly been afraid, if he thought of God as dwelling in arid, holy places. But God knew what his plan was in "blessing all the families of the earth", even directly through Jacob. The one who didn't deserve his father's blessing. And so God met with him, his heavenly Father.

I identify with Jacob. I identify in the desire to self-protect and take. I admire his pragmatic assertion that he was very alone, with little to call his own, and he was definitely blameworthy. In true honesty he asked the Lord to be with him and keep him, provide bread and clothing, and restore peace in his home. He didn't ask for any more because he didn't deserve any more. But maybe he didn't know to ask for any more because he didn't know to whom he spoke. I think I have that problem sometimes, too. I wonder if Jacob ever thought back when he was older on God's promise not to leave him until He had done what he had promised him. I wonder how Jacob might have read Paul's words and example "for this reason I bow...from whom every family...is named." Might be he stunned to perceive Christ preeminent in everything (Col. 1:18), and how extensive his church family is?